Monday 15 September 2008

shelves and horses






























Hello all. Sorry Ive been out of touch for a few days, Ive been busy doing not much. I went to a horse round-up on Saturday, its actually the second biggest horse round-up in Iceland and the television crews turned up with their cameras. It was really impressive, with huge amounts of horses running down the mountain. There were hot dogs, a lot of drinking, and Icelandic music was sung by the people. It was a very heart warming experience all in all. It took all day and my ears are still hurting from the wind. In fact the wind is really becoming super strong these days. Yesterday I had to get off my bike, because I wasnt really moving forward at all on it against the wind. It evens blows your breath away before you can catch it. Its driving me insane. Anyway, while we were at the horse round-up we drove up to a desolate farmhouse deserted by its inhabitants, it was kind of eerie. There was even a house upside down, blown by the wind. The red patches on the mountain are blueberries.
Then sunday was sleeping and laundry day so I did absolutely nothing. I had been thinking and wondering about how to put my work up for the open studio which will happen on friday 26th. The walls are concrete and in any case it seemed rather unecessary to put a massive plug in the wall for a light board the size of a comic book. So I am quite pleased with myself today as I wrestled with a giant board outside in gale force winds and managed to detach the metal edge off it. And I turned it into a shelf! I know it sounds like nothing, but for ME, its a lot...
It looks good actually, I have left the rusty nails on it etc so that it remains an object instead of a shelve. Im really relieved to have sorted that out now instead of running around like a headless chicken in ten days. Now I can bear it in my mind while doing the rest of the paintings, and think all the while about how many, in what order, on top or next to, over or under, even or uneven, sequences etc. I always think the way you put your painting up creates 50% of the work. Painting is really very 3 dimentional. At the moment I like them close together and the accidental meetings of line and colours that provokes. Tomorrow I shall do some more painting. Today I even found some nutella at the shop. AND there was a rainbow on my way home. These good omens can only mean that my shelf is good news... Speak soon x

2 comments:

Unknown said...

pourquoi on s emmerde a accrocher les toiles au mur... Thats interesting... mamounette.

Clement said...

Magnifiques photos! Impressionnant!