Wednesday 24 September 2008

the last 100 metres




So...thats it. The last painting. I wont be able to do more before Sunday as it needs to be dry for transport. Here is the shot with all of them. I might be making some drawings etc but tonight its the concert and I shall be posting shots of that and of the thermal swim. The name of this natural hot spring is Grettislau, which apparently comes from an Icelandic legend. Grettis was an outlaw, exiled on an island opposite the hot spring, and he swam accross to steal some embers for his fire which had gone out. He was found cold and passed out, naked on the shore by the two local girls who commented on the small size of his attributes. Apparently, swimming in the hot spring sorted that out for him, or so says the TimeOut guide to Iceland. So anyway, its a man-made pool, but a very old one made of stones. Looking forward to it. Sunday I am leaving for Reykjavik where I will spend two nights before flying back to Blighty. I intend to go to the Flea Market, eat some whale skewers and lobster soup, and make a trip to the Blue Lagoon. And do galleries. And shopping. I forgot to mention I bought some horse meat last week. Icelanders eat horse meat, although its not so common, and there was some at the local supermarket, so I gave it a try. I am French, so Ive eaten horse before, and Im very fond of it, so I was looking forward to it, but the Icelandic horses are left in the mountains free to roam for 6 months of the year, and so the meat was SO strong and tasted nothing like I was used to. Im a very enthusiastic meat-eater, but I must say this tested my limits. Venison is for beginers compared to this! I ate some of it, but I cant say Ill be cooking it again anytime soon. They actually boil the meat here, they dont pan-fry it or grill it like a steak. So, bring on the rotten shark (the other icelandic specialty) and the puffins!

1 comment:

RiRi said...

I think this last painting is my favourite one.
Iceland looks amazing, enjoy the last few days, take care. Ariane